QRZ Call Sign Lookup

STABLE and BETA version discussions
ac5ez

QRZ Call Sign Lookup

Post#1 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:45 pm

Running NetLogger 2.9.13. Under Setup->Accounts.. The QRZ XML Account Setup. I enter account name and password and when I press done I get the error message "Bad or No Key attempting during QRZ account validation." I have a premium account with XML call sign lookup that is good until 2016. So I know the account is good. Any ideas? Ken, AC5EZ

k0jdd
Founder

Re: QRZ Call Sign Lookup

Post#2 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:10 am

I have seen QRZ have problems with overload from time to time, especially in the heat of a major contest.
That is probably NOT the case here.

I trust that you have ruled out all the obvious things like caps lock or a typo when entering your password.

First thing I would do is go log into qrz.com from the same computer and make sure your password works there and that you are remembering your password properly.
Second I would change your password ( and then change it back if you like ) just to make sure...
Last I would make sure you don't have a firewall rule, antivirus rule, or internet security software that is somehow blocking access to the qrz.com site from NetLogger.

ac5ez

Post#3 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:23 am

Well I use QRZ daily so I know the account works. I use QRZ with HRD and it works fine. I can reset the password which I will do. As for as the Firewall NetLogger 2.4 never had any problems. However, I will check my firewall log to see if NetLogger 2.9.1.3 might be getting blocked. It is interesting that ctrl+Q will connect to QRZ just fine. The problem seems to be only in the setup script.

ac0zg

Post#4 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:47 am

I looked at the code, and I found one bug in this area. The password is not being properly escaped for passing via html to the QRZ server. So any non-html safe characters in the password will cause a problem. However, the error message that I got when testing this (prior to fixing the problem) was a bad password error, rather than the error you got. But perhaps there are other possibilities (different special characters, or position that might lead to the error you saw).

Anyway, the bug mentioned above will be fixed in NL 2.9.14, but that may not be released for a week or two. It's also possible you are running into a different problem. Although, since most people are not having this issue, my guess is that it is password related.

Anyway, as a temporary workaround you can try changing your QRZ password such that it does not contain a special character, i.e. only upper case or lower case alphabetic characters, or numbers. Please let me know if that fixes your problem, because if it does not then we need to pursue this further. Actually, I believe the only html unsafe characters are <space>, %, +, & (that's an ampersand) and \. So you can try other special characters/punctuation if you want. If your password does not contain one of the above mentioned characters, please let me know that also.

ac5ez

Post#5 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:43 pm

Yes, my password does contain one special character. I will reset my QRZ password without any special characters and try again.

Thanks for the quick response.

Ken, AC5EZ

ac5ez

Post#6 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:30 am

Removed the special character from password on QRZ and eQSL. That appears to have fixed the problem.

ac0zg

Post#7 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:31 am

Great, thanks for confirming that. That means that the fix I've made for NL 2.9.14 should fix this issue.

VA3AG

Post#8 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:01 am

ac0zg wrote:Great, thanks for confirming that. That means that the fix I've made for NL 2.9.14 should fix this issue.

I am new to NetLogger and use it on the "Communications Ontario Net" as a net control station every Saturday. I am not a QRZ XML paid subscriber, can you have an option to use a free look up server such as QTH.COM?

Aldo VA3AG

k0jdd
Founder

Post#9 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:11 am

It's possible that you misunderstand what is going on here. I would recommend you read the program help files to clarify the difference between Online Callbook Lookup and the Keyboard Shortcut Keys with special attention to the ctrl q shortcut key

The so called "free" services do not provide the required data in the correct format.
Many get their data from QRZ, QTH.COM certainly does, but they are only allowed to present to you a small subset of what QRZ has available, because you are not a subscriber.

Our position is that if the QRZ Lookup function is important to you, you will find a way to afford the ~$2.50 per month that it costs to become a subscriber.

FYI - Here is an example of the QRZ XML lookup response format from the QRZ XML documentation.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<QRZDatabase version="1.33">
  <Callsign>
      <call>AA7BQ</call>
      <aliases>N6UFT,KJ6RK,DL/AA7BQ</aliases>
      <dxcc>291</dxcc>
      <fname>FRED L</fname>
      <name>LLOYD</name>
      <addr1>8711 E PINNACLE PEAK RD 193</addr1>
      <addr2>SCOTTSDALE</addr2>
      <state>AZ</state>
      <zip>85255</zip>
      <country>United States</country>
      <ccode>291</ccode>
      <lat>34.23456</lat>
      <lon>-112.34356</lon>
      <grid>DM32af</grid>
      <county>Maricopa</county>
      <fips>04013</fips>
      <land>USA</land>
      <efdate>2000-01-20</efdate>
      <expdate>2010-01-20</expdate>
      <p_call>KJ6RK</p_call>
      <class>E</class>
      <codes>HAI</codes>
      <qslmgr>NONE</qslmgr>
      <email>flloyd@qrz.com</email>
      <url>http://www.qrz.com/db/aa7bq</url>
      <u_views>115336</u_views>
      <bio>3937/2003-11-04</bio>
      <image>http://files.qrz.com/q/aa7bq/aa7bq.jpg</image>
      <serial>3626</serial>
      <moddate>2003-11-04 19:37:02</moddate>
      <MSA>6200</MSA>
      <AreaCode>602</AreaCode>
      <TimeZone>Mountain</TimeZone>
      <GMTOffset>-7</GMTOffset>
      <DST>N</DST>
      <eqsl>Y</eqsl>
      <mqsl>Y</mqsl>
      <cqzone>3</cqzone>
      <ituzone>2</ituzone>
      <geoloc>user</geoloc>
      <born>1953</born>
  </Callsign>
  <Session>
      <Key>R E D A C T E D</Key>
      <Count>123</Count>
      <SubExp>Wed Jan 1 12:34:03 2013</SubExp>
      <GMTime>Sun Nov 16 04:13:46 2012</GMTime>
  </Session>
</QRZDatabase>

VA3AG

Post#10 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:08 pm

Our position is that if the QRZ Lookup function is important to you, you will find a way to afford the ~$2.50 per month that it costs to become a subscriber.

Thanks for the info, I had no Idea that it was that cheap! Thanks again

Return to “NetLogger (Stable and Beta)”