Installing Netlogger 3.1.5 for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Ask a question. Or answer one.
N8RMA

Installing Netlogger 3.1.5 for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Post#1 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:12 pm

I'm hoping that some Open Source warriors can give me a hand here.

As the title states, I'm trying to install Netlogger 3.1.5 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (x64). I was thrilled that it's even available, as I'm not a fan of the existing Linux logging offerings but truly enjoy Netlogger.

Here are some of the issues I'm having;

1] When using the deb package, nothing happens. Nada zip nothing. Well that's not entirely true - it appears in the Software Center with a tempting little Install button but when I click that nothing happens.

2] So I tried to be craft and compile it from the tgz file. It seems to install correctly and I even used the suggested directors in the README file (/usr/local/share/netlogger where share exists and netlogger does not). Within /share/netlogger I can see what I assume are all the required files, including the netlogger executable, but it does nothing when opening. I tried to open using netlogger from the terminal, and tried sudo netlogger but I get the response "netlogger:command not found".

Can anyone help here? Please ask questions for more information or whatever is needed. I'm just hoping to get this working.
Dustin Thomas - N8RMA
Mall City Contest Group - KM8CC

State of the Hobby Survey

ac0zg

Re: Installing Netlogger 3.1.5 for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Post#2 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:20 am

NetLogger 3.1.5 is two years old now, so some of the newer distributions can't meet some of the older dependencies without some manual intervention. Some have been able to fix problems by manually installing older versions of libreadline or libpng. But 18.04 is even newer, so it adds some additional problems, due to some additonal dependencies required that aren't listed within the debian package.

Luckily, I love the docker container tool, so it's really easy to install a small container for a particular release and test things out. I was able to use a Ubuntu 18.04 LTS docker container on my Debian Jessie system to figure out how to get netlogger 3.1.5 installed and working.

The first step is already mentioned above, i.e. for 18.04 you need an older version of the libpng library. Luckily it can be installed and coexist with the newer one that comes with 18.04. So download the following package from the debian package server:

http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/ ... _amd64.deb

and install it manually with dpkg -i

Once you've done that you should be able to automatically install any remaining dependencies that the netlogger package listed as requirements.

Do the following:

1) manually install the netlogger 3.1.5 debian package using dpkg -i from the command line (as root)
2) Now use apt-get to resolve any missing dependencies by running "apt-get install -f"

Once you've done the above, netlogger should start, but it may still fail, due to some remaining dependencies that weren't listed in the 3.1.5 debian package.

If you start netlogger and it segfaults, you need dbus:

sudo apt-get install dbus

should fix that.

If you start netlogger, and it comes up, but you can't type anything, you need xkb-data:

sudo apt-get install kxb-data

should fix that.

Hopefully that will get you going with 3.1.5. Note that there is a 3.1.6 release coming soon, and one of the things I did was to make some changes to allow a larger range of distributions that the debian package will install on. 3.1.6 should install on 18.04 LTS without requiring all of the manual intervention mentioned above.

John

N8RMA

Re: Installing Netlogger 3.1.5 for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Post#3 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:55 pm

This is great - I appreciate the help very much. Here is a breakdown on my results:

1] Once I installed the noted version of libpng I was able to install NetLogger from the DEB package without any issues.

2] I loaded NetLogger and was able to interact with all windows (no segfaults and I was able to input text)

This seems to have resolved my issue, but I'll keep those other two packages in my pocket if that changes.

Thank you very much!

Finding out this works on Linux is huge for me. I've yet to find a logging platform I like on Linux, but even on Windows I use NetLogger. I normally use N3FJP on Windows but for nets I use NetLogger then send the ADIF to N3FJP. I'm trying to use more Linux in the shack and this will become my de facto logging platform. Keep up the awesome work!
Dustin Thomas - N8RMA
Mall City Contest Group - KM8CC

State of the Hobby Survey

Return to “"How To?" Q&A”