Proper Way To Handle Home vs. Portable

Ask a question. Or answer one.
dwinker

Proper Way To Handle Home vs. Portable

Post#1 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:43 pm

Hello,

I have questions about how to indicate whether I'm at my main house station, or portable. And, does it matter with regard to who I try to contact on the 3905 Century Club nets.

I did "Setup", "Station Locations" and have two stations. One, my house with lots of information filled in like State, County, Grid Square and "Station Call Sign" of WV0VW. The second station has less filled out and the "Station Call Sign" is WV0VW/P.

I assume when participating in a net I choose "Current Station Location". It seems that when I log a contact I will get a record of whether I was operating from "WV0VW" or "WV0VW/P", however a person logging me as a contact would never get "WV0VW/P" as my callsign. They would know I was portable because when the Net Controller checked me in they checked me in as portable.

Do I have that much correct?

When I fill out a QSL card for my contact that happened while Portable I will of course indicate that. (Actually, I have two different versions of QSL cards - one with my house's grid square, etc. and one with the word "Portable" prominent and space to write in location information.")

I was recently told that it makes sense to contact the same person twice on the same 3905 net - once when portable and once when not portable - that it somehow counts twice. Is that true? Does it make sense?

Thank you,
Dan

k0jdd
Founder

Re: Proper Way To Handle Home vs. Portable

Post#2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:10 pm

All of these issues appear to revolve around your participation with 3905cc.

You should speak directly with 3905cc -- possibly an awards manager -- to determine what your optimal course of action is.

dwinker

Post#3 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Ok. Thanks.

ac0zg

Post#4 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:06 am

I wouldn't recommend setting up a station location with a /P or /M after your callsign. That is going to cause issues with eqsl and LoTW mapping. Instead, when operating portable or mobile, do what you are currently doing, i.e. set up a station location with the information for the location you are running from, but leave the callsign unmodified. Instead make the appropriate setting in the M/P box (located directly under the Country setting). That setting will then be recorded in the "My M/P" field in your contacts table when you log a contact (you may have to enable that field under Edit/Contacts Table/Enable/Disable Columns). That way you can keep track of which contacts you made while operating away from your home location. Note that there are two M/P fields in the Contacts table, one called "M/P" which indicates the M/P status of the station you contacted, and one called "My M/P" which indicates your M/P status when you made the contact.

Anyway, the above is good general advice, regardless of what net you are participating in. As far as what counts towards club specific awards, e.g. 3905cc awards, that is something for which you would need to get help from the specific club from (either via their website or a knowledgeable club member). I do know that the 3905CC does have some very specific unique rules for their club relating to M/P status, because the M/P status functionality in NetLogger was added at their request, even though I think it is useful for all cases, just not necessarily as it might apply towards club awards.

Return to “"How To?" Q&A”